Beloved at Dubai Design Week, Prateek Jain and Gautam Seth, founders of India-based boutique luxury lighting studio Klove, share how to pick an oversized chandelier for your home in the UAE
Oversized chandeliers are not only functional light fixtures but also double as sculptural lights or art installations. They’re best fitted over a dining table, or a foyer or gallery space, where you have a table or ornament placed under them for definition. A statement chandelier is sure to become a talking point of the conversation. Read on for five ways you can pick a chandelier that’s palatable for you and your guests.
- Find the right fit for different spaces
- It’s not always easy to find pieces that perfectly fit different spaces within a home. Oversized chandeliers, in particular, are a bit intimidating as you may feel that you need the right-sized room to make it work. Let’s take a dining room, for instance, where you need a chandelier that won’t interrupt the space but will elegantly float above the dining table. The Klove Boondh chandelier is the perfect piece for this, as it boasts a minimalist design, and can be comfortably placed two feet above the table, allowing guests to easily have a conversation in the dining area, while creating an aura of opulence.
- Buy a one-size-fits-all piece
- Sometimes, you come across spaces that are entirely different, one room has high ceilings and the other has a more intimate setting with lower ceilings. Even though the spaces are different, it doesn’t always mean you can’t use the same oversized chandelier for both. You need to find a piece that can easily adapt to both spaces. For example, the Freyja chandelier by Klove can be fitted in linear form for low ceiling rooms but can also be designed vertically for double-height entrances. In both spaces, Freyja creates a sense of grandeur, and hypnotizes you as its wings spread across the ceiling and engulf you.
- Look for a sculptural installation
- Oversized chandeliers are great because they’re not just light fixtures, but also pieces of art. If you want to make a statement, you can find a chandelier that hangs nicely at a double-height entrance or can be mounted up on a wall in one of the hallways or spaces in your home. And do you know the best part about an oversized chandelier that’s also a work of art? Unlike a painting, it lights up. The Abundance Totem by Klove is bedecked with gold metal feathered wings and beautiful red, amber and frosted white handblown glass. It’s sure to grab attention.
- Balance versatility with flexibility
- Finding a versatile yet festive chandelier is no easy feat. The key is to find an elaborate chandelier that’s created by putting together small, simple shapes to ensure that it still looks as grand, without overcrowding a space. You want to find a piece that’s simple and elegant, but also embodies the grandeur that the festive season demands. The Organic Chandelier embodies opulence and creates a mood of festivity all year round. Easily adapting to its surroundings, it can be an elegant piece in someone’s home or swanky office space.
- Don’t feel the need to go big or go home
- It’s a misconception that you always need a double-height space for an oversized chandelier, or even that you need a huge space in general. Chandeliers have really evolved and now allow you to split them up, depending on the space of a room. If you want to make a statement, the Asteroids chandelier is perfect. You can do a complete ceiling of asteroids, where they spread across horizontally, as if they’re floating through the galaxy, or can be clustered together for greater artistic effect.
Images Courtesy of Klove Studio